Fire Engine / Pumper Communications
Communication is critical for firefighters operating a fire engine. The ability to implement strategies in the apparatus cab while en route to an incident is essential to effective operations. Setcom's systems work with a department's two-way radio to maintain transmissions with mobile radio while engaging in a fire attack. Equipping the driver / pump operator with the Liberator wireless headset provides the freedom to interact with the vehicle's intercom system while utilizing the radio and without being tethered to the vehicle. The 23-24dB noise reduction of the Setcom headset increases hearing and allows for safe and reliable communications while the engineer is operating at the pump panel.
Setcom's System 950 along with the Liberator Wireless Headset is the leading system being installed in new fire engines today.
Wireless System 950 for Fire Apparatus Select features:
Example System Diagram for Fire Pumper Apparatus: Click here
- Modular system accommodates up to three radios and ten crewmembers.
- Repairable parts decrease the lifetime cost of ownership and fast repair turnaround decreases downtime.
- Interconnect cables incorporate a shield on the microphone line and on the overall cable to prevent RF and EM interference.
- "Instant On" - No need to turn the headset on and off. Advanced motion sensor technology has been integrated into the Liberator Headset. Headset shuts down after 15 minutes of inactivity and will automatically turn back on when the user grabs the headset.
- Cell Phone Integration - Most Bluetooth®-enabled cell phones and other audio devices can be used directly with the Liberator Headset.
- Up to 30 hours of continuous talk time allows for more uses with fewer charges.
- Portable Radio Integration - the PRAC allows the firefighter to simultaneously communicate over 2 radio channels.
Click here for Setcom's Hearing Protection White Paper
CommandCom™ Intercom System for Engines / Pumpers:
Setcom's CommandCom is a patent-pending, integrated headrest communications system designed for the quieter cabs of modern custom engines and pumpers. It is a Bostrom headrest that fully integrates speakers and a microphone system with advanced Setcom Phase Contouring™ technology. It is then connected to a Setcom intercom system. The user is able to seamlessly communicate with other crew members and over two-way radios.
Uses and Features:
Example Diagram: Click here
- For apparatus officer and rear crew member positions where hearing protection is not required by NFPA or OSHA.
- For seating positions where firefighters are donning PPE before arriving at a scene.
- Advanced Phase Contouring Technology - Setcom-engineered audio technology prevents feedback that can be caused by an open microphone near a speaker. With Setcom's Phase Contouring technology, a firefighter can place the microphone close to the speaker and will not hear any feedback.
- Reduced Maintenance Costs - Unlike wired or wireless headsets, the CommandCom's components are virtually maintenance free. No more charging batteries. No more broken cables. No more apparatus taken out of service due to headsets needing repair.
- Occupant Detection - CommandCom is connected to the seat sensor and will only turn on when the firefighter is seated thus eliminating extraneous noise in the vehicle when the seat is not occupied.
- Bostrom Backward Compatible - CommandCom headrest will fit on most existing Bostrom SCBA Firefighter seats.
Other Systems to Consider for Fire Engines:
Other Apparatus Configurations:
- System 900SP: When fire department budgets are constrained, this single person system allows the pump panel operator to stay in constant communications with mobile dispatch.
- System 977: For rugged radio applications in fire apparatus.